Tacasha E. Thomas
Tacasha Thomas joined Tilford Dobbins & Schmidt as an associate attorney in November 2009. Tacasha focuses her practice primarily in family law and domestic relations litigation, qualifed domestic relations orders, and estate planning and probate. Prior to joining Tilford Dobbins, Tacasha clerked for a family court judge in Southeastern Kentucky; she also worked as a litigation consultant and staff accountant at Cotton + Allen, where she gained knowledge and experience in valuing businesses in divorce cases and contract and business disputes.
Tacasha's experience enables her to guide clients through an array of matters, including divorce, custody and parenting time, relocation cases, child support, maintenance (alimony / spousal support), domestic violence (EPO / DVO) and complex property division cases, including the preparation of qualified domestic relations orders. Tacasha also provides services in the areas of estate planning and probate litigation, including marriage agreements (prenups), wills, trusts, power of attorneys, living wills, and will contests / inheritance & beneficiary disputes.
Tacasha graduated from the University of Louisville Brandeis College of Law in 2008. During law school she was a member and administrative editor of the "Journal of Law and Education." Tacasha received the book award for the highest grade in her International Law course. Prior to law school, Tacasha studied accounting at Union College in her home town of Barbourville, KY where she graduated valedictorian; she also studied courses in women's studies and law and psychology at Harvard University.
Tacasha currently serves on the board of the Women Lawyers Association of Jefferson County and serves as a Barrister member of the Louis D. Brand American Inn of Court. Tacasha was named a Rising Star with Superlawyers, a research-driven, peer influenced rating service of outstanding lawyers who have attained a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. She is also a committee member of the Louisville Bar Association's Kentucky Lawyer Referral Service and a member of the Kentucky Collaborative Family Network.
Areas of Practice
- Family Law and Divorce
- Qualified Domestic Relations Orders
- Estate Planning and Probate
- Kentucky, 2008
- Louis D. Brandeis School of Law, University of Louisville, Louisville, Kentucky
- Juris Doctorate
- Honors: Recipient of book award for highest grade in International Law course
- Union College in Barbourville, Kentucky
- B.S., Bachelor of Science
- Major: Accounting
- Harvard University in Cambridge
- Major: Law and Psychology
- “Discrimination in Education: Public vs. Private Universities,”36 Journal of Law and Education 273 (2007)
Honors and Awards
- Recipient of the Rising Star Award presented by Union College, 2011
- Superlawyers, Rising Star, 2018
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Women Lawyer’s Association, Board Member, 2013 to Present
- Community Coordinated Child Care, Board Member, 2011 to 2016
- Barrister member of the Louis D. Brandeis American Inn of Court
- Kentucky Lawyer Referral Service, Committee Member
- Kentucky Collaborative Family Network, Member
- Louisville Bar Association, Member
- Kentucky Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
Past Employment Positions
- Cotton & Allen, Litigation Consultant & Staff Accountant, 2008 to 2009
- IRS Externship, Student Associate, 08/2007 to 10/2007
- Family Court Judge Durenda Lundy Lawson, Student Law Clerk, 05/2007 to 08/2007
- Law Offices of Howard O. Mann, P.S.C., Summer Associate, 05/2006 to 08/2006
- U.S. Attorney's Office, London, KY, Student Clerk, 02/2003 to 06/2005
Pro Bono Activities
- Past Member of the Board of Directors for Community Coordinated Child Care (4-C).
- Committee Member for the Kentucky Lawyer Referral Service
- Member of Southeast Christian Church